Tuesday, January 21, 2014

The 2014 Booklist


I have a problem. I’m a little in denial about it, but it recently came to light when I was perusing The Book Corner, my favorite bookstore in Philly. Normally I am a loner when it comes to book shopping but this time I convinced Andrew to come with me. We walked, and I didn't bring a bag, which is a grocery store trick for not buying a lot of food. I was hoping it would work for books. Ninety minutes and nine books later, we headed out to dinner.  NINE BOOKS LATER. And this is after Christmas and my birthday, where I got seven books. I have more books than most people I know. I haven't even read all the books on my shelf, but I can't stop. I love reading and there's just something so great about the possibility of a new book. But I do need to work on reading the books I own. 

In true Type A fashion, I've now created a list of books I already own. Here's my reading list for 2014 divided by section and why I want to read them in ten words or less. 

Fiction
Citizen Girl by Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus - I liked The Nanny Diaries. 
Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld - Already read it, it's awesome, needs to be reread. 
The Manticore by Robertson Davies - Famous Canadian author, getting in touch with my roots. 
Gone by Michael Grant - Dystopian YA fiction, my fav. 

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro - Came highly recommended.
Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides - My brother gave it to me for Christmas. 
The 100 Year Old Year Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson - It was free. 
Let's Pretend This Never Happened (A Mostly True Memoir) by Jenny Lawson - It looks hilarious. 

Non Fiction
Wonder Women: Sex, Power and the Quest for Perfection by Debora L. Spar - Better than Lean In
Freakonomics by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner - I heard it will make me smarter. 
Crave: Why You Binge Eat and How to Stop by Cynthia M. Bulik - Psychology of food is interesting. 

Appetites: Why Women Want by Caroline Knapp - Psychology, food and feminism. 
Stumbling on Happiness by Daniel Gilbert - Psychology of happiness. 
Losing It: America’s Obsession with Weight and The Industry that Feeds On It by Laura Fraser - Diets are a load of crock. 

Reference
The Paleo Diet for Athletes by Loren Cordain and Joe Friel - Might as well see what all the fuss is about. 
Bookkeeping for Dummies by Lita Epstein - I need to learn this stuff. 

Making A Life, Making a Living by Mark Albion - It's got lots of good quotes. 
The Essential HR Handbook by Sharon Armstrong and Barbara Mitchell - Industry reading is always helpful. 

What's on your list for 2014? Comment, find me on twitter with #2014booklist or email me!


3 comments:

  1. I plan on reading "Training and Racing with a Power Meter" by Hunter Allen, other than that I pick things up as I go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That looks like a good one. I also want to read Silken Laumann's memoir "Unsinkable" and I'm sure I'll add about 25 books to the list before the year is out. Too many books, not enough time!

      Delete
  2. I have being on blog Sites for a while now and today I felt like I should share my story because I was a victim too. I had HIV for 6 years and i never thought I would ever get a cure I had and this made it impossible for me to get married to the man I was supposed to get married to even after 2 years of relationship he broke up with me when he finds out I was HIV positive. So I got to know about Dr. Itua on Blog Site who treated someone and the person shared a story of how she got a cured and let her contact details, I contacted Dr. Itua and he actually confirmed it and I decided to give a try too and use his herbal medicine that was how my burden ended completely. My son will be 2 soon and I am grateful to God and thankful to his medicine too.Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Disease…Alzheimer’s disease,Bechet’s disease,Crohn’s disease
    ,Cushing’s disease,Heart failure,Multiple Sclerosis,Hypertension,Colo_Rectal Cancer,Lyme Disease,Blood Cancer,Brain Cancer,Breast Cancer,Lung Cancer,Kidney Cancer, HIV, Herpes,Hepatitis B, Liver Inflammatory,Diabetes,Fibroid, Get Your Ex Back, If you have (A just reach him on drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com / info@drituaherbalcenter.com Or Whatsapp Number.+2348149277967)He can also advise you on how to handle some marital's issues. He's a good man.

    ReplyDelete